My Photo
Name:
Location: Crescent City, Fl, United States

I am 60, have MS, am an avid cook, love making candles (soy) and watching the endless parade of Nature outside my home. I treat the MS with supplements and LDN, I do not use any of the C.R.A.B. MS meds, we don't get along well. I was married for 13 years, we were together for 15. We are now divorced. Sad, that. I do still love him, but ONLY as the father of my baby. Better to keep it civil, hurts the child(ren) less that way, but is oh-so-hard to do sometimes.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Eggplant and Salt and Goodness!

Ok, y'all know I use Sole (Solay), well I also use their cooking salt, the only thing I use "regular" salt for is brining, like when Rob dresses out a rabbit I brine it for a few hours in heavily salted water, and last night I brined the eggplant. Brining draws out things...in rabbit, the gaminess, in eggplant, the extra water. See, I think about it like this...with table salt, they have taken out all the minerals, so I also use it to subtract...with mineral salt, it has all the goodness, so I use it to add.
That said...
I like eggplant but have cooked it, maybe, a handfull of times in my entire culinary life. But I saw Alton Brown talking about it and it sparked my curiosity, and when I saw some beautiful shiny purple ones at the store I thought to myself...self...go for it!
Ok, now I have this beautiful thing in the fridge, what to do with it? So, I looked in several cookbooks and ended up combining recipes, making a kind of Moussaka Parmesan. And it was Awesome! So I'll tell y'all what I did...(if *I* can do it, you can!)
I sliced the eggplant in thick slices, maybe 3/4"? and brined them while I got the other things ready and the oil heated. I took some flour, and added basil, oregano, parsley, salt, and some Parmesan cheese. I think you can pretty much add whatever you have on hand, that was what I thought would be good. Dumped some oil in a skillet, I used the last of the olive so I added some regular cooking oil, heated it, took a big onion (I happened to have vidalia so I used one) cut it in half and sliced the halves, my hands were not quite up to slicing it whole.
Then I took the eggplant slices and patted them dry, and coated them with the herbed flour. Fried them till brown, and put them in an oven-proof dish. When they were all browned, I added the onion and some garlic to the oil, and sauteed that for about 10 mins. I spooned the onion over the eggplant, sprinkled on some Parmesan, then I took a drained can of garbanzo beans (chick peas, you know?) and poured that over the rest, then I added a can of diced tomatoes, topped the whole thing with sliced mozzarella and some more Parmesan. I think any cheese would do, I just happened to have mozzarella. Baked the whole thing at 375* for the time it took for the brown rice to cook, about 1/2 hour.
Now I know the whole thing sounds labor intensive, but it really isn't, if *I* can do it and still have the energy to EAT it, then it isn't that hard.
I Do think the LDN in the A.M is helping with energy, I can't tell you how many times I have made wonderful dinners and gone straight to bed while the guys ate, not having the energy to eat at all. I think anyone with MS knows what I mean, and probably a lot of people without MS do as well!
Bon Appetite!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home